Disciple - What's that?  

Posted by archie

I read your purpose statement once again just to make sure this posting was appropriate.

"Share your ideas, ask questions, pray for wisdom from God who is the Author of all truth, and let's partner on this journey in faith together."

What does it mean to disciple a life group? How does it differ from discipling a single person? No, forget the first two questions.

Answer this one: What is a disciple? As a leader in the Christ body known as Grace Point, does that automatically qualify me as a disciple? No, forget these two questions also.

Answer this one instead: As one who disciples, what are my real world responsibilities to God, the church, my life group, my family and myself?

Yeah. That's the question......

Signed,
Puzzled in Seattle

This entry was posted at Monday, February 18, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 thoughts and responses

Still "Puzzled in Seattle"....

February 19, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Mt.28:19-20 "Go make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father son and holy spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age".
I think the "teach to obey" not teach information presumes we are following the 'teachings' and passing them on to others in a demonstrable way...a way they can follow.

February 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Anonymous  

Your point is great, Jeff. My brother in law (also a Jeff) is a band teacher here in San Antonio. He was talking this past week about a peer who is not as effective at teaching middle school students how to really perform well. When asked, "why do you think you're more effective than he is?" He gave a response that seemed much deeper than the question: "Well, Jack spends all of his class type explaining the theory and origins of 'why' to play music a certain way. He's so focused on them thinking through how it should sound. I focus on getting them to just play as it's supposed to be done, and then explain along the way or afterwards why it made so much sense. Rather than telling them about playing music, I would rather get them actually playing and tell them why it's right afterwards."

Somehow those teaching tactics for music struck me as much more than just "tips for middle school teachers!" We have become much more focused on injecting information into peoples' heads than inviting them to follow us in our obedience to Christ. Oddly enough, I think it is that very mis-focus that limits our capacity to disciple - because we then feel our ability to disciple is directly correlated to our information bank from which we can draw valuable "teaching" from.

What does it look like to personally focus on obediently seeking and following Jesus, and then inviting someone to come along? Has anyone experienced that kind of invitation personally? Have you seen it? Thoughts?

February 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM

When I was at DTS Howard Hendricks took a seminarian with him whenever he traveled. There was an open come follow me but the seminarian had to walk through the door and make the commitment to 'go' with him. Those that did got intimate instruction...it's a two way street...you can't make anyone follow...but you can live the kind of life that makes them want to respond to the invitiation.

February 20, 2008 at 6:22 AM

To anonymous: Your comment "Has anyone experienced that kind of invitation personally?" sparked a thought.

I always wanted and knew I needed a mentor in business. Some one who could teach me how to get where I wanted to go. In my case I wanted to IPO. I waited and it never seemed anyone was available. Likely, because the type of person I was looking for was busy with their own achievements.

I wonder if that may be true in our own lives. Someone is waiting for a leader to say, 'You know what? You really have talent. How about I show you The Way? Maybe I can help you avoid the traps that I know await you? Maybe we can both be stronger by traveling together?'

Someone did find me recently and asked if I'd mentor him. What an incredible blessing the person has become to me.

I think it is time for me to do the looking instead of waiting.

February 20, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Post a Comment