From Follow to Body and Blood  

Posted by Mike Sharrow in ,

I was at a conference last week where there was a lot of talk about the purpose of the church, the purpose of small groups, the purpose of Christian community. Discipleship is obviously a key to these spheres. One of the pastor-speakers said it this way:

Jesus started out simply 'Come, and follow me.' No lengthy doctrinal presentation, series of classes and then a pass/fail exercise - but an invitation to come and see what life in the Kingdom was all about. Along the way more and more was revealed. 3.5 years later Jesus was talking about "eating my flesh/body" and "drinking my blood" as a mysterious and rich word picture for living in Christ. We need to help take people from "come and follow" to "eat my flesh, drink my blood" spiriutally. That's discipleship - taking them from wherever they are at to truly experiencing Christ as bread and wine, as flesh and blood of their life...but understanding whatever step they are in that process and meeting them there.

This entry was posted at Monday, May 05, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 thoughts and responses

Anonymous  

Or maybe he really meant we should eat his body and drink his blood?

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.55For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.56Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.

May 16, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Post a Comment