Just a Sentence in God's Story  

Posted by Mike Sharrow

I'm in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. I've had the opportunity to visit a variety of local ministries ranging from a Compassion International program, a local church ran dental/medical clinic to a retired nurse who decided to turn a small house into a feeding center for about 40 underweight/malnourished children. The central event was participating in the Global Leadership Summit here, occurring for the first time in this city/region. 460 leaders showed up and were blown away as God used this global event to do what only God can do.


Alberty is a guy from the Dominican Republic who ran the technical side of the event. He shared his testimony with me about God rescuing him from a gang life in the barrios of San Domingo to walk in a new life that is radically transformed. As I asked him about the journey of faith he was on I was impressed with his contentedness amidst uncertainty. When I asked him to explain his perspective on God's work in his life he told me his "sentence theory" of God's work:

Mike, I read in the Bible about this man named Joseph. Joseph loved God, honored God and did everything he could to represent God in his life. God blessed him and yet he ended up in prison for a false accusation. Here's a good man in a place that makes no sense after doing nothing wrong. There's a verse that simply says "after 2 years in jail.." Think about it - for 2 entire years Joseph sat in prison unclear on why he was there, what God was doing, but he kept honoring God while God was preparing the stage for the next part of the story. We all know the big story, but for 2 years I'm sure Joseph thought prison was the biggest issue in his life. Well, I face every season in my life wondering, "God, is this something that at the end of the day will be a simple sentence that "after X years.." or is this a key part of Your story?"

What a vantage point...Is this a big event, or just a sentence in the ultimate flow of life as God is writing His story in our lives, the Church, the world?

(v) But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me...

This entry was posted at Saturday, November 15, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 thoughts and responses

Anonymous  

Trusting God is doing a great work in you and each person you touch.

November 15, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Post a Comment